Sterling silver thimble registered and made in 1904 by the Charles Horner company of Northgate, Halifax. The company moved to new purpose-built premises at Mile End, Halifax in 1905. Charles Horner was born in 1837 - the year Queen Victoria acceded to the throne.
The thimble has a plain knurled top and a border of two rows of 'hammered' or planished squares or waffles and is stamped with the RD No. 429537 on the rim. The design was registered by Charles Horner on March 25, 1904. This would have been Charles Henry Horner as Charles Horner Sr. died in 1896. The above example, assayed in Chester in 1904, is missing the Horner C·H mark.
This particular Charles Horner design is documented by Norma Spicer and Diane Pelham Burn in British Registered Design Thimbles, 2003, p18:
"RD No. 429537 registered March 25, 1904 by Charles Horner. Above the rim of this silver thimble, is a border with two rows of squares with a hammered appearance, rather like those seen on some nineteenth century steel thimbles."
Some more photographed examples. Chester 1912, 1906, 1904 and 1909. Note the first in the group has a flatter top and the third a narrower border of "squares":
This registered design has been noted on two thimbles made for jewellers in Canada. Presumably they were used as advertising thimbles.
1) Ash Bros. of 111 Jasper Avenue West, Edmonton. Assayed Chester 1908:
2) Wheatley Bros. of 11th Avenue and later 227 Second Avenue South, Regina. Assayed Chester 1911: